This was a Special Session of Ann Arbor City Council to discuss the Affordable Housing Millage ballot language. This item was postponed from the previous Council Meeting (7/20/20) because it was added to the agenda too late for Council Members to ask questions of staff. This meeting was held online via the Zoom application.
APPROVED: An Affordable Housing Millage (1.0 mills) will be added to the ballot in November 2020 to support the construction, maintenance, and acquisition of new, permanent affordable housing units for low-income individuals and families making less than 60% Ann Arbor Area Median Income, and for providing social services for the residents of such housing for 2021 through 2041. (Legistar)
Two amendments to City charter language clarified that:
- Millage revenue will not be used on any new housing units in the floodplain or floodway
- The City will continue to contribute General Fund and County Public Safety and Mental Health millage money to the Affordable Housing Fund regardless of the Millage
- The ballot language will now be sent to the State for final approval.
- A2ELNEL: Newsletter Excerpt (July 26, 2020) – Affordable Housing Millage Special Session
- A2ELNEL: Affordable Housing Millage Resolution