This was a Special Session of Ann Arbor City Council to discuss the Affordable Housing Millage ballot language. This item was postponed from the previous Council Meeting (7/20/20) because it was added to the agenda too late for Council Members to ask questions of staff. This meeting was held online via the Zoom application.
Ann Arbor City Council Meeting Summary
APPROVED: An Affordable Housing Millage (1.0 mills) will be added to the ballot in November 2020 to support the construction, maintenance, and acquisition of new, permanent affordable housing units for low-income individuals and families making less than 60% Ann Arbor Area Median Income, and for providing social services for the residents of such housing for 2021 through 2041. (Legistar)
Two amendments to City charter language clarified that:
- Millage revenue will not be used on any new housing units in the floodplain or floodway
- The City will continue to contribute General Fund and County Public Safety and Mental Health millage money to the Affordable Housing Fund regardless of the Millage
- The ballot language will now be sent to the State for final approval.
- A2ELNEL: Newsletter Excerpt (July 26, 2020) – Affordable Housing Millage Special Session
- A2ELNEL: Affordable Housing Millage Resolution