Ann Arbor City Council Meeting Summaries
For each Ann Arbor City Council meeting, I have written summaries of agenda items, along with Legistar links, articles I’ve written, and articles published on MLive. I also provide links to the agenda on the City’s Legistar website, CTN’s YouTube video of the meeting, and to my newsletters and voting charts.
Latest A2Council Update Videos
I make video summaries of City Council meetings, plus other City of Ann Arbor meetings. You can find more videos on my YouTube channel
Latest Ann Arbor City Council Meeting Summary
Ann Arbor City Council: January 23, 2023
This Ann Arbor City Council meeting was held in person at City Hall. Members of the public can participate in public hearings and public comment either in person or via phone.
Ann Arbor City Council Meeting Summary
APPROVED: $5.7 million contract with Bailey Excavating for water main replacement and resurfacing at South Main from William to Huron. (Legistar)
- A2ELNEL: https://a2elnel.com/post/a-million-dollars-and-counting
POSTPONED: A resolution directing a new beginning of collaboration with the University of Michigan for reconstruction of the East Medical Center Drive bridge at an added cost of $2,050,000. The City’s contribution will be $500,000. Construction will be delayed to 2024. (Legistar)
- This (postponed) resolution effectively rejected a $9,657,770.26 construction contract that would have resulted in renovation and reconstruction of the East Medical Center Drive bridge in the 2023 construction season. Two years of planning are set aside and the project will be re-designed and re-bid.
- A 2021 memo from City staff, outlining the poor condition of the bridge, need for improvement and widening without delay, and plan for cost-sharing with the University of Michigan: https://a2gov.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=9880974&GUID=EE263A3A-B9C1-454B-989D-838AEB0690C0
- On October 18, 2021, City Council approved a $1,011,319.29 contract for engineering services related to rehabilitation and widening of the East Medical Center Drive bridge. https://a2council.com/ann-arbor-city-council-october-18-2021
- On February 7, 2022, City Council passed a resolution to remove conditions that were added by amendment at the Oct 18, 2021 Council meeting. That language was removed to preserve the original plan and financial agreement with the University. https://a2council.com/ann-arbor-city-council-february-7-2022
- On March 7, 2022, City Council appropriated $30,177.39 from the General Fund toward a design and cost estimate of an east-west pathway under the East Medical Center Drive bridge. https://a2council.com/ann-arbor-city-council-march-7-2022
- A2ELNEL: https://www.a2elnel.com/post/e-medical-center-bridge-update-feb-2022
APPROVED: The City will pay $39,000 to settle litigation related to a low-speed rear-end motor vehicle accident with an unmarked police vehicle that occurred on June 14, 2019. The City denies allegations that an AAPD officer caused neck and back injuries and associated damages and the lawsuit will be settled without an admission of liability. (Legistar)
APPROVED: Ann Arbor will be listed as a supporting municipality to the brief of amici curiae filed by Public Rights Project in Biden v State of Nebraska and Dep’t of Education v Brown. This Supreme Court case is a challenge to the Biden Administration’s executive authority to cancel $10,000 in student loan debt for those under certain income thresholds and an additional $10,000 for Pell Grant recipients. (Legistar)
- A copy of the brief can be found here: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/592c8640c534a5adf895986b/t/63bf1625dbbc35368c0653da/1673467429465/Biden+v.+Nebraska+–+Local+Govt+Amicus+Brief+–+01.11.23+–+final.pdf