The City held a public meeting on January 29, 2024 about a proposed Sports Illustrated Resorts branded hotel and conference center at the Kline lot (William/Ashley). This City-owned parcel (currently a parking lot) was previously designated for the development of affordable housing.
Sports Illustrated Resorts Information Session
Monday January 29, 2024 7:00PM
City Council Chambers, Ann Arbor City Hall (2nd Floor)
City press release announcing the meeting: https://www.a2gov.org/news/pages/article.aspx?i=1030
The meeting included updates from:
- Ann Arbor City Administrator Milton Dohoney, Jr
- Destination Ann Arbor, which presented a study on the need for a local conference center
- The City of Ann Arbor Planning Manager, who reviewed the City’s planning process
- Representatives from the Sports Illustrated Resorts proposal
Additionally, members of the public were able to ask questions during the meeting.
The meeting was broadcast by CTN, and is available at this YouTube link: https://youtu.be/SYTUmJFDt4M
On January 30th, one day after the meeting, the developers announced they were withdrawing their proposal. To learn more more about how this deal originated, the last six months of negotiation behind the scenes, $30,000 in legal expenses, and the public engagement meeting this week, see my video summary:
I published several posts about the Sports Illustrated Resorts proposal
- A2ELNEL: Ann Arbor FOR SALE: Sports Illustrated Resorts
- A2ELNEL: Behind the Scenes: Sports Illustrated Resorts
- A2ELNEL: Sports Illustrated Resorts will “bring the notoriety that Ann Arbor deserves”
MLive published several articles about the January 29th public meeting and subsequent withdrawal of the proposal.